Saturday 28 May 2016

Using RCI Exchange Weeks

Again I am way way behind in updating.  So all this occurred back in 2015 .....

I had deposited a couple of our membership weeks in RCI and had one due to expire so we wanted to burn this week up rather than lose it.  I was a little nervous about RCI.  One of the benefits they advertise is discounted hotel rooms so I had tried this in the past and it didn't go well.  The hotel I booked at didn't know I was coming and also expected me to pay for the room although I had paid RCI for the room at booking time.  Because of this experience I was wary.

I have spent a lot of time searching what is available through RCI and I think for ourselves, exchanging into all-inclusive resorts doesn't seem to be a good value.  In addition to your membership week and the exchange fee, you will still be paying an all-inclusive fee in addition to being on the hook for your airfare an airport transfers.  As well, these all-inclusive fees are quite pricey.  Bahia Principe all-inclusive fees to me seem pretty reasonable but at some of the other resorts I've looked at it's not unusual to see them ask for hundreds of dollars per day per guest for these fees.

So, that means I have focused my attentions on looking at exchanging into resorts that are just room charges where you'd be independently getting your meals.  These resort suites that are available are quite attractive looking.  For my exchange power its quite common to find 2 and 3 bedroom suites ... most have a kitchenette as a minimum while many have a full kitchen and some even laundry.

For instance, some time in the future I can see us going to Florida to do the Disney vacation thing.  There are many resorts available in that area where I can get find pretty much anything I'd be looking for (suite size, amenities, distance from attractions) all for the 240ish exchange fee for a week.  Another charge quite common I've noticed is an additional like 50 for housekeeping.  You can pretty much find resorts participating in RCI at almost any vacation spot in the USA.  There are also many international destinations like Europe and South America .... because of high airfare I haven't really seriously looked into these destinations.  There are also a number of resorts in Canada that participate ... mostly in the Rocky Mountain area and in eastern Canada. 

Unfortunately, since I am in Saskatchewan the pickings were pretty slim for anything close by.  I did however find Elkhorn Resort and Spa at Riding Mountain National Park that was within a 4 hour drive for me so I decided to burn up that week there.  I had found a week available starting on the May long weekend so I had decided on that.

A big bonus!  RCI was offering a 1/2 price exchange sale shortly after Christmas so I booked myself into a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom chalet for a week at a price of about 120.  Had I booked the chalet independently without going through RCI it would have cost about 2,300.

I got some of my family involved and we went there for that week.  It was a fantastic getaway for us and with it being within driving distance we didn't have to worry about flights and more of my family was able to come along.

I would return to this resort however I'd want to go in summer and their availability for my points just aren't there for that so I'll just have to keep on the lookout for something.

The booking through RCI was simple and everything about it went without a hitch.  Also, the resort seemed keen to get a good review through RCI so were very accommodating to us.  My confidence in RCI has been restored.

5 comments:

Kevin J Q said...

Thank you for this blog!

My wife and I got sucked into this while vacationing in Mexico. I'm usually very cautious about sales presentations... but somehow I couldn't think straight in their negotiation room under pressure... Reading your blog gives us *some* assurance that this is not a complete ripoff. Like you, I think the RCI portion of the deal got us, not knowing that the trade of the weeks may not be equal. There are red-herrings everywhere during the sales pitch but somehow I wasn't able to throw off their spell... must be the humidity...

Let us know your future travels and keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Thanks for your blog and appreciate your time on this. Unfortunately, I do not have a good news for anybody who got sucked in this. Me and my husband were just hundreds of others who were dragged into this by their sales pitches and lies during the presentation in Mexico in 2013. We did not sleep well the night we bought it and hoping that it was not a scam. We did use it the first year with families and the services were good and we were kind of relieved and thought this GP Privilege Club thing might be different.

We did not use any of this RCI thing, because I found it is too complicated and with a lot of restrictions.

Last year, I have noticed that the daily resort all inclusive rates for all the hotels have been increased greatly. If we have to factor in flights and transportations, Priviledge Club is even more expensive than those all inclusive package sold by Air Canada, Sunwing ou Westjet etc....

I have send an email to Privilege Club, they basically argued that Privilege Club offers more benefits which are not true.

I just noticed that they have lowered a bit of daily rate for 2017. I do not know if it is because a lot of people complaint about it or they were getting less reservations for 2016.

Last week, I received an invoice for annual club fee, and I noticed that the fee has increased for 20%. They did it for last year, but I did not pay attention and has paid it. So I send them an email saying increasing of club fee should not be over 10% and this is a breach of contract, as a result I can cancel this contract and want my money back:

So here is the answer:

1. The Club will try to keep to a 10% increasing, however due to world wide economical situation, the club can not keep to that.

2. If I want to cancel the contract, the club will keep the money that has been paid to the club.

So you get this, they can increase whatever percentage they want, even it was a breach of contract, they get to keep the money that we have paid.

My conclusion, unfortunately this is a scam. They are just getting greedy. Go to Tripadviser website, there are a lot of comments that The club can not keep up with the services and promises they made.

So what can we do:

1. For those who just bought this, the only way to garantee to get your money back is to call your credit card company to cancel the transaction as soon as possible.

2. For people like us, we just lost our money, but do not stress out from this. But we have to act together, spread words, leave comments to as many online website as possible. Find any possible way to educate other travellers.

We can not let these liers get away easily.

Unknown said...

Hi,

Thank you for the blog. It's good to hear the story of someone trying to understand RCI and how the Bahia weeks work. We got sucked into this a few days back vacationing in Punta Cana. We trusted what they said since they were representing a 5 star resort chain but later found out about all the lies and had a buyer's remorse that spoilt part of our vacation. Your blog gives me some hope. We live in Toronto and will try to use our Gold weeks through RCI or maybe book Bahia Luxury resort to get the most out of what we spent (USD $10,000 + $875 for 30 Gold and 60 Preferncial weeks).

I don't know yet how many points I will get for my week with RCI and how many points would be required to book a resort in Banff or near me since I dont have my RCI credentials yet. Hope they arrive on time for me to book something in advance.

Could you tell me how many points you had to use to book the 3 badroom/ 2 washroom chalet in the resort near you?

Thanks

Unknown said...

Hi Thanks for your blog and those who shared comments. I bought the membership on April 4, 2017 while was in Mexico (Bahia Principe Tulum). Once I returned to Canada and heard and learned lots of negative reviews about the membership, I called my credit card company (TD) on April 10 and I followed the advice from a TD legal professional to write to the club to cancel my involvement and ask for full refund. If Bahia does not refund, the credit card company would start a disputed transaction process. I will see how it goes.

Unknown said...

Have you had any luck yet with cancellation?..I just bought gold on Feb 9 and was assured it was not a time share..ya right...I'm looking to cancel contract. Paid 10 gs US...gettin scared and want out