Thursday 23 February 2012

In the beginning ...

***UPDATE 2015/03 This post is a little inaccurate.  It reflects what I understood at the time but I have subsequently learned more.

Upon arriving home from our trip to Jamaica staying at the Gran Bahia Principe, I found there was not very much information about the Privilege Club.  We did make this purchase and have the highest hopes it was a good one.  Since there is so little information, I am starting this to record our experiences with this program.

I do wish that prior to visiting a Gran Bahia this type of info popped out at me.  I still believe we will get value from this purchase but I like to be a little bit better informed upfront.  I may have been able to negotiate for a bit better of a deal I think if I had been.

Googling the club provides a number of negative remarks regarding their sales tactics.  I have heard multi-level marketing and scheme thrown about quite freely.  Based on these comments, I have also seen numerous people trying to "buyer's remorse" their way out of it (which by the way is specifically noted in the contract and sounds tough to do).  I believe your local laws allow for backing out of these deals within a certain time frame (days) and the company seems to be very difficult to get a hold of in a timely manner.  Looking at these comments closer, none of them are dissatisfied customers; just people providing uninformed advice.  The very few comments I found from experience members were they were very please with the perks.

As I am a researcher by trade I believe I can relate some unbiased information from the start that may clear up a few things.  We purchased on Feb 15, 2012 and were told it will take a couple months for all our information to arrive so the following info will be a little sketchy as we are a little in the dark about all this as well.

First off, their sales tactics are horrible.  I was fed so much misleading information it is almost sickening.  Don't be angry with your sales person regarding this.  They are trusting the company fully and believe the propaganda they are fed.  I befriended our sales rep and although I was suspicious of what she was selling, I didn't want to burst her bubble as she was told she gets a membership to the club once she's worked there for a year and was so excited for it (3 months away).  We were escalated to sleaze bag #1 and then further to sleaze bag #2 who I believe were totally aware they were being misleading

Price: We repeatedly told them that although the concept appealed to us, it just wasn't the right time for us to commit ourselves to any more obligations.  The price kept going down and down.  What we ended up with was 8995 US for the package plus 875 US for the closing costs.  This was for the "Gold" package and included 30 membership weeks that can be exchanged in the RCI network and 30 preferred weeks that are Gran Bahia only.  We were also told that the Jamaican sales tax of 17.5% as well as the standard 400 per year maintenance was being waive "today only".  Arriving home, I don't believe there is a maintenance fee charged to anyone and that sales tax is always waived.  I am still okay with the dollars, just unimpressed with their pushy sales tactics.  I think if I would have been better informed going in, we wouldn't have bought this year but we definitely would have next year.  Our membership fee is 79 US per year and our RCI membership is paid for during the first two years.  We were offered financing at 18% simple interest.

Membership/RCI weeks:  This is where some of the sales pitch was most misleading.  We are interested in primarily traveling in Jan/Feb and not wanting to limit ourselves to Gran Bahia destinations.  We were told that our 30 exchangeable weeks can be used any time of the year but our preferred weeks we were limited to the May - June and Sept - Dec 20th time frame.  We felt this was doable.  We could travel to our hearts content with the 30 membership weeks and also throw in our Gran Bahia weeks in the Nov/Dec months.  After spending some time researching this and going through the contract numerous times, although it's technically true we can exchange our membership weeks for any time of the year, that's not exactly how the RCI network works.  We were also shown so many resorts/hotels we could exchange these weeks for and they mislead a bit on this as well.  The membership weeks we purchased are also Gold season weeks (wasn't aware until reading later) so will have a lower point value in the RCI network.  One of the destinations they teased us with was the Disney Animal Kingdom resort and without having any concrete numbers yet, I am anticipating one week at that resort will cost us numerous weeks of our membership.  This RCI concept and the 222 US per week promise is what really sold us and where we really felt we'd see a bargain.  Again, although I now believe I was completely mislead, I still feel we can make out good on this purchase.  There are numerous other benefits of belonging to the RCI network ... in particular the extra vacations ... that still make this look worthwhile.

More BS:  There was so much other unsubstantiated promises made that never found their way into the contract nor can I find any information about on the internet.  We were given gift certificates to do our departure from the Montego Bay airport in the Mobay Club.  We went; it was quite nice.  We were told that the Gran Bahia had these clubs in a number of the airports servicing their resorts and that our membership would provide free access to these clubs.  I can't find anything confirming this so am assuming lies.  We were also told that as a privilege club member we would not have to wait for the resort bus but would be greeted at the airplane with a private taxi that would whisk us to our destination post haste ... it's looking like this feature is at an extra cost.  Another big story (bs) is that our rooms would be privilege club suites in separate buildings with separate bedrooms from the living area's.  From what I'm understanding this is a complete fabrication as well.  We still will get standard rooms just with a few perks.  The last promise I am still up in the air about but I'm assuming is lies is we were told we would have access to wholesale airfare pricing which should save us 20 - 30 percent ... just check it out on their website.  Although the website does say that online options will be available in the near future, this is not supported in my mind.  Oh, and another thing was they talked about earning referral points that we could use to pay our all inclusive fees but we weren't provided any info regarding that in our take home package????

The truth and nothing but the truth:  What I do believe to be accurate from the sales pitch:
- the in-room safe is free
- we have express baggage check in at the airport
- unlimited al-a-carte with reservations made for us prior to arrival
- maybe slippers and bathrobes
- maybe turndown service in our room (who cares)
- express check in at hotel
- discounts at the Gran Bahia souvenir shop, excursions, golf (I think a whopping 10%)
- a welcome cocktail (another who cares)
- premium alcohol for free - we're flexible so this isn't a biggy as well
- I think this club has only been around for a couple years which would explain the sketchy info available online.  The future may provide way more info as well.

So, I'm sure I've forgotten a thing or two but for right now I think this is complete.  Our feeling is that either this is a great purchase or we blew 10 grand; give us two years.  I will keep updating this relating our experiences to hopefully better inform everyone else.  I'm not expecting our info in the mail for a couple/few months but from my understanding, I can call RCI in a couple weeks and get some more info from them at that point.


32 comments:

fuideny said...

I too purchased this on Feb 17th. I have contacted RCI and they gave me my membership number but I have to wait 6 months to trade in my Bahai weeks. They also promised special lounges at the Bahai resorts and they told me they were in the process of building one at the resort we were at. (Bahai Tulum and Coba). I am happy I found your blog. I will let you know how it works out for me.

Unknown said...

I to have bought into the club. More so to use the RCI resources. We took my bother-inlaw and my sister as witneses. Thank god we did. Played hardball with the represetive and finally after 1 1/2 got to the bottom price. I also kept notes and pocketed his notes asS well. He was glad to get me off his table.

My advice is to ask to have some time alone in a well lighted room with the contract and make sure everything you were told that will be on the contract is in the contract. Or aske to take the contract with you overnight and read it throughly. I spent a number of days myself after getting home and reseaching the club and corperate members and sent off some e-mails to shKe the tree. Got answer back pretty quick and a phone call from corporate officers clarifying some points.
If you badger them some you can get weeks transfered after 3 months and all of RCI special
vaction packages and not just the extra vactions they give you. In the end be on your guard and walk away if it gets to confusing. You can always go back and barter again with your eyes open.

Anonymous said...

I too joined the Club. We paid $10,000 plus closing cost for 30/30 weeks Privilege Club/RCI. Waiver for 1st year of Privildge Club maintenance and waiver for two years on RCI maintenance. We got two one week vouchers for Privildge Club and four $199 per week for RCI vouchers. If you wish to chat further with me email "tony@fameria.com"

Unknown said...

I also bought into the Gold Package. Ended up paying 13, 000 up front. Didn't even use the points or any benefits from it. I didn't even book anything, I just simply wanted to cancel the contract and told them i would be willing to pay the cancelation fee of resigning from the contract. I wanted my money back since I didn't even use the package, and the refused to cancel it. They tried to force me to stay which was not fair at all. They stated that there was no prove of them breaching the contract, which means I am not allowed to cancel it. Are we in some sort of scam? This isn't fair to anyone. And i believe this is unacceptable behaviour.

If anyone wants to email me about further information its, anatolidehtiar@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Lenny, thank you for the blog! It looks that you have saved us a lot of problems and $.
All the comments are very valuable - thank you.

Rog said...

Oh dear. We purchased Gold membership in January and are now trying to book a vacation. Pulling my hair out trying to get a vacation booked. It does appear to be a scam as you can book the same package online at most sites for almost the same price as the club. We paid 8000 for the 30 weeks and 875 for the admin fee. I feel like an idiot but what can you do./

HFK said...

Just returned from the GBP in Punta Cana. This was our second trip there. Love the resort, the atmosphere, and the night entertainment, but don't like the "sales pushers" so we knew what to expect this year and it was no..no..no..to the sales reps in the lobbies. Find it hard to part with around $10k.

That said, maybe someone can help me understand the following:

If I pay roughly $10k for 30 weeks wouldn't that be $333.33 for a week--just hotel cost without meals and airfare? In that respect, it's a great deal and worth it. Last year, I kept insisting that the price should include meals; however, it was only for the room per night. Maybe things have changed since then.

Wow, I should be on the receiving end of this deal and in the real estate or hotel timeshare business.

For simplicity sake let’s talk about 1 beautiful gorgeous hotel suite. I “sell” that suite to you for 20 weeks—or 20 years, whichever comes first—at a very attractive price of $10k. That’s $500 per stay for YOUR week. Remember, no meals or airfare. Good, you might think because a good hotel room could run over $150 per night. Oh, I forgot to mention that there’s also a $200 annually maintenance fee for keeping the place nice just for you. But to keep this simple, I’ll waive this for the next 10 years. Now, you only have to pay $12k and that brings the cost to $600 per year.

Now I only need to get 51 other suckers to buy this same “timeshare” to cover all 52 weeks. Grand, I’m out to make $31,200 per year on that one room. But like the airlines that oversell seats, I’ll sell this room to 60 others because chances are that somewhere down the road you, or another timeshare holder, are not going to use your room and furthermore, I have over 100 rooms I can put you in.

Arithmetic tells me that the next 20 years that 1 room will yield $31,200 x 52 timeshare holders for a total of $624,000. Yes, you were able to talk me down to a lower price, etc.; nonetheless, I’m out to make over $600k on that one room. Not bad when you consider I have over 100 rooms that I do this with. The numbers are enormous and in a perfect business world all rooms would be covered and gross me over $3.1M per year ($62.4M) for 20 years. I'll put a colorful armband around your wrist, refer to you as a Privilege Member, and reserve a place just for you at the Privilege Club section at the beach. (I wondered why this section only had about 1 or 2 people but mostly empty during the week we were there.)

Timeshare and the Privilege Club is big business and in third world countries where the locals are overworked and underpaid more than the average American or European, the ROI is greater. Yes, we left a tip on our bed each day for the person who cleaned our room: all inclusive? Yes, someone is getting rich, it is not I nor is it the maid, the bartender, nor the gardener.

Is it you?

Lenny said...

HFK I totally agree with you on the how good a business this time share concept is for the owners of it.

We did buy into this so are making the best of it. From what I have found, I don't think it's so much a scam as badly misrepresented by the sales people. I think if we lived closer to a major airport this would a more attractive deal for us. As it is we fly out of Regina Saskatchewan so get completely hosed on airfare.

So far my biggest complaint with this whole organization is their greasy sales people. The "local" that was our original sales person was just an employee and could only go off what she had been told but she pulled in the the managers and they know they are feeding you bs on top of bs ... VERY un-cool. And they do use pressure sales tactics.

We went to the sales pitch because they were giving us a helicopter ride for going. We bought because we didn't know better. When we got home I couldn't find very much factual information about the club so that's why I started this blog in the first place.

We are going to use our first week in December of this year and after I'm back I think I'm going to update this specific post with some more factual information.

So far what I think the biggest benefit of this membership is that it's trad-able in RCI for a pretty decent trade value at one of the lowest timeshare costs out there that I have since seen.

If you are currently on vacation at a Bahia Principe and experiencing some high pressure sales tactics I will tell you right now you can get whatever limited time offer they are peddling any time so you don't need to feel rushed to take the offer they are giving you. Also, they have a huge amount of barter room so if you do decide you want in use some high pressure bargaining of you own.

From most of the bad reviews I have seen, they are primarily provided by people who disagree with the timeshare concept in general so don't have specific knowledge of being a member in this club. The second largest bad reviewers I have seen are the ones that have bought but are deep in buyers remorse ... and rightly they should be with the sales tactics used against them.

I am hoping to find some more good stories about this club to try to balance this out.

Unknown said...

Hi All, I bought back in 2013. I have used my 2 "free" weeks. Once in Jamaica (where I got standard room etc as I was using a free week", not a fan of Jamaica, but the BahIA club lounge was lovely. I used my second free week at Ambar, where the balcony faced a stinky tarp of new building that was going on. Again, I was told that there were over 100 club members in,and not all could be accommodated. Hmm mm mm I raised cane, and got no where. That club lounge was nice also, but far away and filled with extremely rude staff. I just got home yesterday from El Portillo and it was fabulous.....been there 8 times. I did not u,se my membership as the redtag.CA was about 300 $cheaper.However, I did do private transfer and got top shelf booze, minus the black band.
I have used RCI, and the all inclusive fees per day are huge.....check out the Melia fees. Frankly, I have not seen all that they show you, suite wise.....some hotel staff know u should be treated well, some....not so much. Frankly,the RCI is a rip off in my opinion. Love this blog though.

Unknown said...

Just got back from Dominican, My wife and I completely got suckered in. I am desperately searching for feedback before the balance comes from my credit card. all I have seen is pushy sales and I agree. does any have a story regarding use of this membership? or did i just make a huge payment so that I can pay the same price for the same trip? PS i payed 5k plus 875 the rest will come out in payments I will cancel credit card and back out if this is the case.

HFK said...

Kristopher, you might be able to use the "buyer's remorse" clause. Don't take my word; I'm no lawyer. The transaction happened outside the US so there might be some hoops you will need to get through. I'm sure these guys have a collection agency in service for them in the US who will look you up on the internet and hound you hound you down to spoil your credit. Act fast with whatever needs to be done.

I have experience from Las Vegas sitting in on the sales pitch for what they have to offer, free shows, dinner, etc. but never really taking bait.

Wish you the best.

Liliya O said...

If you are a victim of a timeshare scam and if you signed your contract in Mexico within the last 5 days, act immediately: 1) Call a lawyer in your Country, 2) Call a local lawyer in Mexico (you can find many of them in the internet), 3) Be aware that you have 5 days cooling off period in Mexico! However when you sign a contract with Bahia Privilege Club they include a statement saying that "you agree with Panama laws" :-). Later they'll tell you that because of this statement your right for 5 days cooling off period in Mexico is voided. Do not believe them, be strong and act as your lawyer tells you - you have to send a cancel request to them via a courier, your lawyer can do it for you if you can't. The #1 reason why I signed this contract was a lack of information and experience, I never heard about such thing as a "timeshare", the deal sounded really good to me on the presentation, I realized that I did a mistake when I decided to check the internet later on the same day... After reading peoples' stories and reviews of Bahia Privilege Club I was shocked. The reason #2 why I signed the contract - I trusted this resort, I couldn't imagine that a place that calls itself "luxury 5 star resort" can do with you such a thing, I couldn't imaging that they don't care about their name and reputation and can dishonor it so miserably. At least, if you sell this scam to people in Mexico don't try to avoid Mexican laws, let people cancel the contract within 5 business days as the law of this country says... But instead of that they try to hide behind Panama laws when selling this in Mexico and they tell you that you do not have right to cancel something that you signed just YESTERDAY! As soon as we came to their office (on the next morning) and asked for a cancelation they told us that we can't. We said that according to the law we do have right to cancel it within 5 days, even if the contract says that we can't. They brought us to another manager (their boss), he was very rude and raised his voice on us many times during the day. This manager said that we won't be able to cancel this contract anyway, for the beginning he gave as another offer for 10,000$, after we refused it he gave us another offer for 5,700$. He said that if we don't sign it we won't be able to cancel anything and we are going to stay with original 21,000$ contract. After fighting with him the entire day he offered us the very last offer for 3,500$. At this moment we had to decide if we want to continue wasting precious time of our vacation in this sales pitch and pay for a lawyer or if it is just easier to sign the contract for 3,500$. We agreed with this new contract however my wife still thinks we had to fight till the end. Also, it is important to say that I caught this manager lying, he told me that we are buying 5 weeks with all "Privilege Club Benefits", but after reading the contract carefully I found that there are no any benefits, he told me that it means that I do not have to pay fees :-). After he left the office I asked another person if the contract has benefits or not, she wasn't aware of our conversation with her boss and she confirmed that there are no benefits because it is a "trial" package. I asked to invite that manager again and asked why he was telling me that I'm going to have benefits. He said "well I do not often sell these contracts"... Later I found a story in the internet - another couple purchased this "trial package" and they realized that they do not have benefits only upon arrival to the resort 1 year later... Not telling truth is a normal practice when selling something in this office. They don't care about your happiness, they don't care about reputation and name of this resort, they don't even care about Mexican laws (they can simply avoid it by just adding statement that you agree with Panama jurisdiction), they only want to get your money and get rid of you ASAP.

Sunseeker said...

Hi I'm from England and spent 2nd time in BP we had a fab time again, but drawn into the privallege club which we signed up to. When we got home I searched on the internet and have seen a lot of bad reports! Is there any update on cancellation I used my barclaycard for £570 deposit the balance to be taken in 6 weeks. Are there any good points to this? I need to decide what to do ASAP ....help

Kamil Massani said...

This is definitely a scam, I bought the privilege club membership last year in Nov and this Dec I'm planning to book a resort and guess what its been 3 weeks and the room is not yet booked. I call them everyday (even from work) and the lady who was suppose to help me book the room doesn't want to talk anymore. I've emailed them to cancel my membership I hope it works. but guys this is definitely a scam don't fall into this. better pay 100$ more and book a resort but its not worth going thru all the hassle and pay 10k

Unknown said...

We bought into this February 2015. And so far have nothing but great reviews. Always same day reply when booking vacations (we've only used our free vouchers so far) and have always gotten a prompt response with any email correspondence that we've sent. Haven't looked too much into the RCI transfers yet, but that's what really made it stand out as a good deal for us. I'm so pleased I came across this blog! Very interesting information.

William said...

Our annual fee is $125.00 which is due 15th. each January. If we refuse and don't pay this annual fee what action can they take. We reside in Canada and bought in Dominican Republic.

If anyone has knowledge re this please let us know.

mytrut said...

Anyone have an idea how to cancel this rubbish membership and ți receive money back? As far as I've seen on the contract, cancellation fee is 100% from the membership fee, therefore, no money back? Anyone have an idea how to Take the money back?

Unknown said...

I am in same situation I am wondering if all off us can take legal action as group?

Unknown said...

We should try as group to take legal action against Bahia principe and RCI.Also everyone who was victim of this scam need to stop go in vacation in any resort belonging to Bahia principe.Our family and friends never go in vacation to any Bahia Principe resort as protest for this scams.If any other victim want to take legal action please email me at crys_toronto@yahoo.ca

Bahia said...

Hi what is RCI

Unknown said...

I wish I had read all these comments before!!!!

Unknown said...

Is it possible to cancel the membership ???

Unknown said...

I too had join the club 2 days ago wish I had read the reviews b4

Unknown said...

Does anyone have any advice on how to get out of this

Unknown said...

Hi Tony, where you able to cancel and get refunded? They owe me 7300. I wanna know how to get my money back. THANKS

Unknown said...

We just bought in feb 12th...would love to know jow things work

Delhen said...

I wish saw this blog. I too would like to get out of this contract. I haven't used it because the times are restricted or unavailable. I would like to cancel and get my $13K back.

Suraj P said...

Hi, could anyone please help us on how to cancel these?

Suraj P said...

What did you do for cancelation?

Unknown said...

I'd like to cancel or join a class action after all the recent deaths at their locations
Please let me know any information to get our $13,??? back.

Unknown said...

I, like many others would like to get out of our Privilege Club membership. Our life circumstances have changed and we can no longer travel. Also, 19 people have died from mysterious circumstances at these resorts in the Dominican Republic and we'd rather not like to stay at those kind of resorts. We've had this membership since 2010 and paid $10,000 for 15 weeks over 30 yrs. I'm sure the $10,000 is gone but we'd like to find a way to cancel and avoid paying 20 more years worth of $180/yr annual service dues. Again, has anyone actually gotten out of these contracts?

Unknown said...

I was scammed as well, 15,000 dollars Canadian. Never used any of the free trips,couldn't get time of so I lost those. I have not paid the Annual fees, so I don't know what they can do about it. This has really drained my mental health. I can't believe we did this and regret it every single day. Can I get any amount back? I highly doubt it. I will never go back to Jamaica again. Ot horrible what these con artists are allowed to get away with. They give you alcohol and then they take advantage. I never want to travel again.